Thursday, August 16, 2012

When afflicted with calamities or dishonor, do we ever ask ourselves are WE to blame for our misdeeds?

As in human nature, when we are blessed with the bounties of this world - in wealth, children, honor..., we say we say 'we have been blessed.' But on the flip side, when we are faced with calamities, dishonor and despair in the world, we immediately rush to judge, blame and scratch our heads as to why the bounties are being taken away and squandered. Little do we ever think of OUR actions - are they just? are they halal? am I being proud and arrogant? am I protecting my tongue by not engaging in idle talk, gossip and backbiting? am I being loving and caring to my family and elders? do I betray the trusts and promises of others? do I disrespect my elders, my older brothers, sisters, family...? am I deceiving and tricking the Lord? am I following the commands of Allah and example of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)?

In the Holy Quran, Allah says:

     "But when Allah tries them (the people) through restricting their means of life, then they 
     say 'Our Rabb has humiliated us!'

     Nay! But you did not treat the orphans with kindness and generosity, nor did you 
     encourage each other in feeding the poor! You devour inheritance (of the weak) with 
     greed, and you love wealth with much love!...and hell will be brought near (in sight) that   
     day (Day of Judgment). On that day people will remember (their deeds), but how the 
     remembrance will avail them? (Surah Al-Fajr 89:16-23)

So, people, please examine yourselves. Change begins from within. Be beacons of example and hope for humanity. Humanity is at the crossroads and have begun the march to the qiyamah (Day of Judgement). There is still time for change and reflection and importantly the praise of the Lord above, who has created us only for a short while in this world. Please I urge you all to act more kindly to your family, and leave the ignorant idle talk and actions that are of no use to you in this life - they only mask and deceive reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment